[postgis-users] shp2pgsql segmentation fault

R. Piepul rpiepul at dataflowdesign.com
Mon Feb 24 10:56:00 PST 2003

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your help. Problem solved. I had a misconception about
using txt2dbf and gen2shp.

    Jeff> I try to open the Shapefile in Arciew and it errors with :
    Jeff> "Number of shapes does not match number of table records",
    Jeff> there are 19 table records in the dbf file from what I can
    Jeff> see, check again when you are creating the data to verify
    Jeff> that both file are based on the same dataset exactly?  -Jeff

It appears that I incorrectly constructed the ascii files used to
create the shape files. There were 18 data records.  I think (someone
please correct me if I am wrong) that txt2dbf requires a header record
with field names. gen2shp, on the other hand, does not, but I had one
in the file. Removing this header record form my ascii coordinate file
and rerunning shp2pgsql solved the problem. Thanks very much for
taking the trouble to examine the shape file and pointing out the
problem.
Regards,
Rob