[postgis-users] ogr2ogr dummy help for tiger

Robert W. Burgholzer rburghol at vt.edu
Wed Feb 26 05:43:30 PST 2003

OK, I am sure this is really a simple question, buthere goes:

I am trying to use ogr2ogr to convert from tiger files to shape files,
but am really stumped as to useage syntax.

I have tried:
    ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" ./shp ./TGR51007
    ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" ./shp ./

(and numerous other permutations) where my tiger files are named
TGR51007.* and I have created a subdirectory ./shp to store the
resulting shape files. I get the following error:

Unable to open datasource `./shp' with the following drivers.
   -> ESRI Shapefile
   -> UK .NTF

ogrinfo is able to determine information regarding my tiger files. The
ogr2ogr I am using is a January 7 build, I am assuming this is the latest.

Any examples, or help would be appreciated.

Robert Burgholzer
al·go·rithm  n.
        A step-by-step problem-solving procedure, especially an
established, recursive computational
        procedure for solving a problem in a finite number of steps.
Invented by Al Gore.
rburghol at vt.edu