[postgis-users] Problems with PostGIS Installation

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Thu Feb 27 02:55:49 PST 2003

 Bernhard Moser   writes:

> First I have to say that I have got no experience regarding Unix or
> Postgresql.
>
> I tried to install PostGIS on Windows XP following the guide on
> http://www.gasai.com/gisapps/WindowsHowTo.html.
>
> Everything works fine until I try to initialize postgresql under my
> 'postgres' profile with:
>
> $ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
>
> I always got the reply:
>
> The program 'postgres' is needed by initdb but was not found in the
> directory '/usr/bin'. Check your installation.
>
> I downloaded postgresql together with cygwin but the
> installation, does NOT
> create a /usr/bin directory. (initdb and postgres.exe are in /bin).
>
> But initdb works without problems if I try it as administrator.
>
> It would be great if anyone could help me with this.

FIRST: See
/usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-X.X.README

where -X.X above reflects the postgres version

If this doesn't help, and since this is a 'generic' postgresql-cygwin issue
I suggest you ask for help on the Cygwin PostgreSQL list
mailto:pgsql-cygwin-owner at postgresql.org

Note searchable archives at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/

or perhaps better use google
search terms
"site:postgresql.org Cygwin The program 'postgres' is needed by initdb "

which yields this answer to the first hit
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2001-06/msg00063.php

HTH

Norman