[postgis-users] Re: line simplication

Adrian Custer acuster at nature.berkeley.edu
Sat Jan 11 09:54:34 PST 2003

Hey all,

The book "Reactive data structures..." is one of the better books I've
read on algorithms in GIS. I second Erik Brenn's recommendation. With
the rise of the GIST, I assumed that a "reactive" data structure could
be built into PostGIS.

As far as simplification goes, it might help you all to think of two
different kinds, semantic and geometric. I would distinguish one kind of
simplification that say removes the names of the suburbs of a big city
as you zoom out to include greater extents. For instance, a map of the
east coast of the united states would only have New York City displayed
but a map of of the local area would have the five parts of New York
labelled separately. I would define a second kind of simplification, a
geometric simplification, as something like removing internal points in
a geometry. Note that you must maintain the points that define topology,
but you can drop intermediate points and straighten structures.

So for semantic simplifications, I don't think there is a way for the
machine to figure it out on the fly. This means that you would have to
pre-define a hierarchy in the data structure. For geometric
simplification, there are endless alternatives in computational
geometry. The only time I can think of that you would need additional
information is if you had two independent layers that were interrelated.
For instance, think of a bridge in a road network. If the road network
had been build along with a river network, then you would want to keep
the bridge fixed as a "topological" point rather than moving it in the
simplification algorithm. So I can see a need for points to have a
"don't simplify me out" tag that would not be automatically determined
by the simplification strategy. Note that "topological" points internal
to the layer (i.e. road intersections) can be determined on the fly.

cheers,
adrian