[postgis-users] Re: [Mapserver-users] MySQL Version 4.1.0-alpha

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Thu Jun 12 13:38:48 PDT 2003

Just for the record - I'm running a win32 native postgis database with
mapserver on windows NT and 2000.
With what I'm calling the Multera co's (one time?) port of Postgres and
those who prepared a postgis.dll to go along with it - I'm doing all this
already.

Mind you, I acknowledge some limitations (i.e. further compilations, lack
of available source code, etc.) - but win32 should prove no limitation to
using postgis, especially if a user isn't worried about have the latest
greatest version of postgis.

I don't use cygwin for this at all!  Setup is dead simple.  If anyone wants
a copy, email me off list, and all I send you is a zip file.  You unzip it
and you've got all the binaries setup ready to use.  You simply pick up at
the "initdb" stage to create your db.

Tyler

|---------+--------------------------------------------->
|         |           Paul Ramsey                       |
|         |           <pramsey at refractions.net>         |
|         |           Sent by:                          |
|         |           postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refr|
|         |           actions.net                       |
|         |                                             |
|         |                                             |
|         |           06/12/2003 12:09 PM               |
|         |           Please respond to PostGIS Users   |
|         |           Discussion                        |
|         |                                             |
|---------+--------------------------------------------->
  |       To:       PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>                                             |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Fax to:                                                                                                                |
  |       Subject:  Re: [postgis-users] Re: [Mapserver-users] MySQL Version  4.1.0-alpha                                         |

The possibility is extremely high, along with a postgis-enabled win32
mapserver.

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov wrote:
> With the native windows port of Postgresql 7.4 coming down the road, what
> is the possibility that some kind soul will prepare a binary with PostGIS
> bundled in?
>
> Doug Newcomb
> USFWS
>

> At 04:29 PM 6/11/2003 -0700, David Blasby wrote:
>

>>>This is actually an outcome of the Mapserver Users Meeting - I got tired
>>>of people asking me if we were going to be supporting mySQL.  Now that
>>>mySQL 4.1.0 allows support for sub-selects, it looks like a connector is
>>>possible.  With the features promised in 5.0, it looks like mySQL will
be

>>>a "real" database!
>

>>I commend your willingness to tackle MySQL, but I wonder why there are so
>>many requests for MySQL. Could it be largely from people seeking a
windows

>>platform? Right now getting PostGIS going on windows is a chore. If
>
> windows
>
>>setup of PostGIS was easier would there be fewer requests for MySQL?
>

>>Rich
>

> Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
> Greenwood Mapping, Inc.
> Rich at GreenwoodMap.com