[postgis-users] PostgreSQL geographical datatypes and PostGIS

Obe, Regina DND\MIS robe.dnd at ci.boston.ma.us
Thu Jun 26 05:58:25 PDT 2003

If the intent is to maintain old apps while developing new apps that use the
new postgis datatypes,  I would think that perhaps adding a postgis geometry
field to your existing tables would do the trick.

E.g. you still keep your point data for example as is, add another field
that is a postgis geometry and then update that new field with the postgis
geometry equivalent.

Your old scripts would still utilize the native postgresql (POINT, POLYGON,
PATH) columns and your new scripts or mapserver scripts would utilize the
new geometry fields.

I'm not sure if there is an easier way than that, but that's the first
thought that comes to mind.