[postgis-users] PostGIS 0.8.0 Released

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Nov 24 19:49:31 PST 2003

Refractions Research is pleased to announce the release of PostGIS
0.8.0, the first version of PostGIS to support all the functions in the
OpenGIS "Simple Features for SQL" specification.

PostGIS adds support for geographic objects to the PostgreSQL
object-relational database. In effect, PostGIS "spatially enables" the
PostgreSQL server, allowing it to be used as a backend spatial database
for geographic information systems (GIS).

Since we started the PostGIS project in 2001, we have had the goal of
supporting all the functions in the SFSQL specification, so finally
completing that goal is a big step!  We have included the OpenGIS SFSQL
test script in the distribution so you can test it out yourself.

Among the (many) new SFSQL functions we have added are:

- Contains(), Within(), Touches(), Disjoint(),
- Overlaps(), Intersects(),  Crosses(), Relate()
- Intersection(), GeomUnion(), Buffer(), Difference()
- ConvexHull(), SymmetricDifference()

Also some non SFSQL functions, inspired by the spec:

- Aggregates: GeomUnion() in-memory geometry aggregate
- Aggregates: MemGeomUnion() memory-safe slower aggregate

Version 0.8.0 also includes support for the recently released
PostgreSQL version 7.4.

PostGIS is open source software licensed under the GNU GPL.

For more information, see http://postgis.refractions.net

       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey