[postgis-users] question with compiling PostGIS in Redhat

Nelson Tong nel_tong at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:54:30 PDT 2003

  I am trying to compile postgis against PostgreSQL7.2.2 in redhat 7.3.
Originally, I thought the entire source tree of the PostgreSQL could have
come with redhat ( I am using Redhat database 2.0, which basically is
PostgreSQL7.2.2) , so I went into the "contrib"  of the PostgreSQL
installation and uncompress the postgis archive ( postgis-0.7.5.tar.gz). I
edited the Makefile with the following:

subdir=contrib/postgis-0.7.5

and then I tried to run compile commands with "make". The following error
came up:

../../src/Makefile.global:269: ../../src/Makefile.port: No such file or
directory
Makefile:111: @abs_top_srcdir@/src/Makefile.shlib: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `@abs_top_srcdir@/src/Makefile.shlib'.
Stop.

Does this mean I would probably need to compile PostGIS against a full copy
of the PostgresSQL source tree? Has anyone tried to compile and install
PostGIS successfully with PostgreSQL that comes with Redhat database? Sorry
for asking such stupid questions, but I think I am still just a novice when
it comes to compiling source code from scratch in the linux environment.

S.T.