[postgis-users] Point data type

Joel Gwynn joelman at joelman.com
Sat Apr 3 06:31:46 PST 2004

I'm sort of feeling my way in the dark here.  I have some GIS experience
(Arcview, AutoCAD Map), and some database experience (MySQL,
SQL-Server), but these tools (PostGIS, Mapserver) are new to me.

I have data with lat/long fields, and I've brought in a shapefile (from
TIGER data).  I haven't done anything with it yet, but I have some
questions.

1.   I've noticed that postgres has point and line data types.  Is there
any advantage to creating a point field and using that instead of
individual lat/long fields?
2.   Ditto for lines.