[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS?

Nicolas RIBOT nri at scot.cnes.fr
Mon Apr 12 04:21:23 PDT 2004

A little bit late...

>     Who are you?

Nicolas Ribot, SCOT SA. (Services and Systems' Conception for Earth
Observation)

>     What are you using PostGIS for?

  - As a powerful storage for our geographic data
  - As a backend to mapserver and to our Java applet to display maps on
the internet.
  - As a productive solution for some of our geographic projects: for
instance, we are currently updating the french land cover (Corine Land
Cover project). Geographic data are stored in Postgis, dumped in
shapefile at the biginning of a working session, edited with ArcGIS, and
stored back to postgis at the end of the work
  - As the core part of the PgArc Project, an OpenSource project to link
Postgis directly into ArcGIS.

>     Why did you choose PostGIS?

  - Great support
  - OpenGIS compliant
  - Very, very efficient compared to other solutions (ease of use, of
installation, low disk and memory footprint, multi OS, etc...). For
example, 8 people are working concurently on the Corine Land Project for
more than 6 months without any crash or problem from the postgis server.
  - With Geos, a true and effective GIS solution

>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

  - Stability, performance.
  - Ease of migration between versions
  - GEOS integration

>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

  - Lack of native windows installation
  - lack of powerful editing client (but we're working on it :-) )