[postgis-users] Installation Trouble.

dave at davemitch.com dave at davemitch.com
Wed Apr 14 06:55:14 PDT 2004

Hi I'm trying to get the POSTGIS installed on my machine.

I have just run through the guide.
http://postgis.refractions.net/windows/WindowsHowTo.html

I installed Cygwin and set up Postgresql as a service. (Postgres was included
in the Cygwyn installation, so I didn't need to download it from postgres
website)

I have create the postmaster account as per the instructions and everything
seems to be in order.

However my problem has arrived when starting to install POSTGIS as the
instructions say:-

"Move the tar file to the 'contrib' directory of you PostgreSQL source tree
(e.g. "C:\cygwin\src\postgresql-7.4-1\contrib"), and de-compress it."

I have a C:\cygwin\src\ directory but it is empty. What do I need to do to
build this tree.

Does it matter if the tree isn't there as my POSTGRES database seems to work ok.

Dave