[postgis-users] length_spheroid problem

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Apr 27 23:34:10 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have a SQL I'm trying to get to return the great circle distance (geographic
distance) between two points. The points are stored as a LINESTRING in the
table the_geom.

The SQL is:

select length_spheroid(the_geom,'SPHEROID["WGS84",6378137,298.25728]') from

but it generates the error message:

ERROR:  SPHEROID parser - couldnt parse the spheroid

I've tried various formats of WGS84, such as WGS_1984 which is used in srtext,
but get the same error & can't tell from the message exactly what is wrong with
my syntax. Any pointers please??

Running PostGIS v.81, Postgres v7.4.2 with proj v4.4.7...

Thanks,

  Brent Wood.