[postgis-users] shp2pgsql forgets table name

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Feb 3 13:08:39 PST 2004

snelson wrote:

> This command:
>
> shp2pgsql -d 'myshape.shp' 'shp_tbl' 'shp_db'
>
> Results in:
>
> select DropGeometryColumn('','shp_tbl','the_geom');
> drop table shp_tbl;
> CREATE TABLE shp_tbl(gid serial, ACTIVITY varchar, UNQNO int4, IGDS_COLOR int4,
> AREA_HA float8);
> select AddGeometryColumn('','shp_tbl','the_geom','-1','MULTIPOLYGON',2);
>
> It seems to have lost the database name, which I think should be in the empty
> set of single quotes.

The database name is an obsolete parameted. There is really no need
to store database name in the geometry_columns table.
It is accepted for compatibility with old scripts.

The empty quotes are intended to keep schema name when present.
If I remember well there should be a version of both Add and Drop
funx without the first argument as a shell to the former.

> I'm running version 0.8.1 under cygwin.  I tried the cvs snapshot but it fails
> to compile due to a bunch of errors starting in function parse_commandline of
> pgsql2shp.c.
>
> Any ideas on what to do?

Please report the first lines of the bunch.
--strk;