[postgis-users] Redhat 9 Help

Jeremy Palmer jpalmer at paradise.net.nz
Wed Feb 4 03:07:04 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm new to the world of linux and redhat and I'm having great trouble
installing postgis with geos and proj support. When a do a standard install
following the instructions i.e

configure, make, make install - for geos and proj; configure
--enable-multibyte --with-CXX --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
--docdir=/usr/doc/postgresql-$version
make - for postgresql 7.4.1 and;
make install - for postgis

I get problems with the creation of a postgis database. For some reason the
system cannot find postgis.sql or spatial_ref_sys.sql it had to explicitly
enter the path to the contrib folder and when I ran the postgis.sql on the
database it came up lots of - "ERROR: current transaction is aborted,
queries ignored until end of transaction"

Initially I thought the main problem was that redhat by default installs
postgresql library files to /var/lib/pgsql and support files to
/var/share/pgsql directories, while geos and proj seems set up on configure
to install into /usr/local/postgres etc.

However when I tried changing the configure options for the make and install
of geos and proj i.e.

configure --mandir=/usr/share/man --bindir=/usr/bin --libdir=/usr/lib/pgsql
--libexecdir=/usr/lib/pgsql --includedir=/usr/include --infodir=/usr/share
--datadir=/usr/share

make postgis then starting complaining about postgis_geos_wapper and
postgis_proj_wapper failing. Do I now have to change the configure options
for the make of postgresql

If someone has guide or could help me out with installing Postgis on redhat
it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jeremy Palmer