[postgis-users] Postgis views

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Feb 26 16:35:10 PST 2004

Any advice???

We are looking to store data with a geographic component in Postgres. We want
to use generic SQL so the data loading scripts are as platform independent as
we can get.

I'd like to use PostGIS/GEOS functionality to provide spatial query
functionality.

Is it possible to create a view using data stored as floats to cast them as
geometric types? (Obviously there will not be any spatial indexing)

Something like
"create view ...as select ..., line(point(startx, starty),point(endx,
endy))..."
where start/end x/y are floats.

Even without the indexes, select by intersect, distance, etc would be nice to
have. I know this is possible with the Postgres internal spatial datatypes, but
I don't know about GEOS/Postgis.

Thanks,

  Brent Wood