[postgis-users] slackware and postgis/mapserv

Darren Houston dhouston at beyondcompliance.ca
Sun Jun 6 15:07:14 PDT 2004

Hello Robert,

Maybe you would like to look at Gentoo as a server platform?

The benefit of Gentoo is there is really no version, just distros with
newer packages. You install what you want, when you want. So, for a GIS
server, you can install only the packages required for a lean, mean
Linux server. You use one command to update the packages. The downside
is that Gentoo is much harder to install than other Linux distros (such
as RedHat),but I found the on-line docs to be all I needed. I'm keeping
Gentoo as my server OS and Mandrake as my desktop OS (until I can try a
Gentoo desktop install and compare).

Hope this helps,

Darren H.