[postgis-users] Mandrake Linux GIS project?

Jean-Denis Giguere jdenisgiguere at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 15 14:53:01 PDT 2004

Sorry for cross-posting, but I want to answer to the original list, but
I think this is more freegis related.

Wood Brent a écrit :
> Hello everyone.

Hi and sorry for late answer,

> The msg below is from a Mandrake Linux development list. The idea behind the
> chemistry site is interesting (to me anyway). The reason I'm bringing it up:
>

> I'm using a variety of Open Source GIS/mapping packages/tools/libraries on
> Mandrake & the idea of setting up a comparable resource with the support of
> Mandrakesoft I believe is a good one.
>
> I know there are things like licencing issues (eg: Postgres/PostGIS) but a
> repository or even extra CD with Open Source GIS resources seems feasible.
What is this PostGIS issue ? PostGIS is GPL and Postgre un BSD.

> At a GIS related conference a couple of years ago I presented a 3D
> visualisation system for fisheries data, and the response from the group was
> impressive. Not because what I did was so great, but that it could be done with
> "free" software. There is a real growth in fisheries GIS worldwide, especially
> in the third world, supporting coastal fisheries managment and aquaculture, and
> budgets for Arc & Oracle spatial are limited.
>
> The most impressive thing I have found with Open Source GIS in the last couple
> of years is the interoperability. I can download shapefiles, e00 data or many
> other formats. Use avcimport, ogr2ogr, shapelib, shp2pgsql to extract &
> reformat, or load into PostGIS. I can query/browse with psql, pgaccess or
> graphically with QGIS/JUMP, I can analyse with GRASS or R & prepare high
> quality publication maps with GMT. Then toss mapserver at it to web-enable the
> stuff. Add some GPS capture software.
>
> The mix of software seems suitable for releasing as a GIS toolkit, complete
> with operating system, office suite, image editing software, etc.
>
> While we have Geoware releasing GMT & supporting data & freegis.org with a CD
> compilation, I'm not aware of anyone offering everything in a nice, ready to
> install with a package manager approach.
>

> So my questions:
>
> Do others believe that the concept of such a GIS toolkit is worth taking
> further?
For sure !!

> Are the various people working with all these packages interested in working
> with Mandrake to develop such a system?
Mandrake could be interesting, but IMHO, it's not the most configurable
distro. I believe that Debian should be consider as a better choice. I
have few arguments, but I think
1. Many applications are already packaged. (It is also true for Mandrake)
2. There is a real support for customization called Custom Debian
Distribution. This offer guideline and tools to produce a good custom
distro. The support for this kind of development in debian community
seems to be always greater.
3. Debian is a trustable distro. The community take care of the quality
of their distro and I think the chance that your work disappear on the
web because there is no maintener and nobody know that our project exist
is less.

But, there is not only avantage on Debian side. By example onfiguration
tools are not user-friendly as mandrake, it could be difficult to start
a project on debian if nobody is already a Debian developper.

> Is Mandrakesoft interested in adding such a software compilation to it's list
> of packages, perhaps even a Mandrakemove version of GIS Knoppix?
>
> Am I way too far out in left field?

This project is really a good idea and I'm really intersted to get
involved. I have worked on a custom distro under Mandrake and I really
think that we can be better serve by choosing Debian. But, free software
is a world of possibility. There is room for more than one custom distro
gis-oriented.

Regards,

Jean-Denis
Student in geomatic applied to environment
Sherbrooke University