[postgis-users] Using/Compiling PostGIS on Windows XP/Cygwin for use with PostgreSQL

Tyler Mitchell tjmitchell at riverside.bc.ca
Fri Jun 25 16:34:33 PDT 2004

> Sorry for my ignorance with this, but I know nothing about PostgreSQL
> "native" window builds.  Would those be PostgreSQL packages precompiled
for
> Windows (something like PostSQL *.dll), in other words PostgreSQL
WIndows
> binary packages, DLLs?
>
> Do those come with PostGIS and other contrib modules, or how are new
> modules added to those?

No apologies necessary.  Many folks have taken the time to compile
Postgresql on windows using a windows (non-cygwin) compiler.  Once that is
up and running then it's a matter of someone else building the
postgis.dll, etc.  Then you load the postgis.sql script into the db and
you've got postgis running.  If you want to add other contrib apps then
you'd have to compile those on windows without cygwin too( more or less )
- but this is all just like if you used Cygwin but you don't need to do
any compiling or installing.  Instead, you grab a zip file, unzip it into
a folder, set a couple settings in a batch file and you're running with
postgresql on windows.

Wanna try it?  Search the list for win32 and you should find some postings
:)

Tyler