[postgis-users] MySQL-PostGIS performance comparison

Alvaro Zabala alvaro_zabala at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 5 02:56:24 PST 2004

Some days ago I wrote a mail to this list about performance of some spatial
querys.
These querys are made from a PlugIn of JUMP (Java Unified Mapping Platform)
which we are developing.

We have developed a similar plugin to access MySQL. SQL Code (built
dynamically from FeatureCollection schema) is similar, because PostGIS and
MySQL are implementations of OGC Standars.

Ive noticed that MySQL performance for querys is about 10:1 compare to the
same querys with PostGIS. My two tables (MySQL and Postgis) have spatial
indexes, and PostGIS's table has been vacuum).

Are this results normal? Do you want original data to make some performance
tests?
Alse Ive read in Internet that MySQL is very fast (even more fast than
Oracle) because it isn't a transactional DB -people say it hasnt integrity).
Has Postgre this integrity in transactional environments?
I dont want to disturb you. I only want to help you to improve Postgis.

Regars