[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS?

Eric Bridger eric at gomoos.org
Mon Mar 8 06:21:18 PST 2004

Gulf of Maine Ocean Observing System: www.gomoos.org/

>     What are you using PostGIS for?

To spatially enable timeseries oceanographic data from the Gulf of Maine
collected by our buoy array. Currently ~ 18 million point records going
back 3 years. We are really just beginning to make use of PostGIS. So
far just for a couple of WMS servers (thru mapserver) returning wind and
sea surface temperature maps.  We have much bigger plans for the future,
though our spatial issues are not large.

>     Why did you choose PostGIS?

1) Mapserver's support for it. 2) We were already using Postgres. 3)
Open source, open source, open source!  Thank-you Refractions.

>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
Was easy to install on FreeBSD. Integration with mapserver. Getting a
WMS server working with PostGIS was almost trivial.

>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

 We have noticed some issues, though I'm too much of a novice to provide
many details. We're still working on that. We had issues with certain
sub-queries when using the mapserver connector. E.g. certain self-joins
on our main data table would not work or would just hang with postgres
FETCH commands left hanging. etc.

Eric Bridger

P.S. Hopefully in the future I'll be back with more intelligent
questions about PostGIS/Mapserver interaction questions.