[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS?

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Tue Mar 9 12:53:11 PST 2004

1) We are GlobeXplorer LLC, a provider of satellite and aerial imagery.  For more information, please see <http://www.globexplorer.com/company.html>.

2) We use postGIS for tracking the spatial aspects of our imagery data, and for vector data (roads, points of interest, parcels, etc.).

3) We chose to migrate from a COTS DB to postGIS because of (a) cost, (b) it works, (c) unknown future upgrade path of COTS DB vendor, and (d) preferred to support open source PostGIS for future updates.

4) It works ! (mostly, see below) It is noticibly faster than our previous server in some aspects, particularly indexing and doing statistics for large amounts of data. JTS/GIS code base is useful for engineering.

5) (a) We have not been able to get the shape unloader code to work. (b) Have ongoing issues with postgres rejecting certain geometries that result from some operations ("polygon has ring where first point != last point!" and the like); not so much a problem with postGIS per se as it is with our legacy data meeting postGIS/GEOS. (c) We can't compile on Solaris.

Thanks for this excellent tool!

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC