[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS?

Homme Zwaagstra hrz at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 17 04:06:36 PST 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 1:27 am, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
> annual question(s):
>
>     Who are you?

Homme Zwaagstra, Web Developer, GeoData Institute, University of Southampton

>     What are you using PostGIS for?

As a GIS backend to mapserver mapscript applications. It enables us to
create applications that allow querying and analysis of spatial
datasets.

>     Why did you choose PostGIS?

- it is free
- it is open-source
- it has an active community
- it is standards compliant
- it builds on the strengths of a great RDBMS
- it is reliable

>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

- the fact that I can easily build custom geo-processing functions
  using stored procedures.
- I can interact with the data using JUMP

>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

I suspect the following are related:

- when I do a pg_dump all the postgis SQL is included!
- the lack of a run-once script for the installation
- the geometry_columns and spatial_ref_sys tables are not centralised,
  making updates more cumbersome.

Also, the data loading/dumping generally needs to go through
shapefiles and shp2pgsql and pgsql2shp.  A more generic loader
(e.g. improving the driver for ogr2ogr) would be great.