[postgis-users] DropGeometryColumn

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Thu Mar 18 10:54:22 PST 2004

strk wrote:
> I think it could be done applying a trigger from
> AddGeometryColumn(). Unfortunately the trigger(s) will
> have to be hooked on system tables, which postgresql guys
> does not like. You can nonetheless try that out and let
> us know.

strk,

DropGeometryColumn() should actually do an

ALTER TABLE <table> DROP COLUMN <column>;

The reason it doesnt is because postgresql 7.0 or 7.1 did NOT allow you
to do this.  Since at least 7.2, we've been able to - we just havent
updated the function.

Could you change it so it does the DROP column instead of the sillyness
it does now?

dave