[postgis-users] geometry_columns & LW_GEOM

strk strk at keybit.net
Fri Mar 19 08:29:47 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 07:08:15PM -0800, Dave Blasby wrote:
> Quoting Ralph Mason <ralph.mason at telogis.com>:
>
> > Why does it need it?
>
> The ogc spec says it has to be there...

Do you think we could make it a view ? I've made some research some
time ago on this.

If we make use of custom DOMAINs we could detect geometry type and nDims
and also stick type-constraint to the domain instead of the table
(OGCPolygon2d, OGCPolygon3D, etc)

What remains is the SRID value, which still needs to be written somewhere
custom_datatype(custom_parameter) support has been discussed
on pgsql-hackers, but I do not know if something moved on since then.
That syntax would allow to specify a SRID which would be put in
the pg_attribute table for public use.

News from that front Mark ?

--strk;