[postgis-users] Schema support in loader/dumper

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Fri Mar 19 09:07:25 PST 2004

strk wrote:

> There was a check before schema-support-introduction to ensure
> the first argument was actually an existing database name.
> That check has been obsoleted by schema-supporting versions since
> the first argument should be a schema name, not a database name.
>
> If we want to support this setup (old postgis installations /
> pre-schema pgsql / schema-aware loader) we should add a switch
> to the loader forcing it to 'cheat' on the backend using
> obsoleted database name as first argument.
> This has to be a switch because on new postgis installations
> everything should work transparently (with either pre or post schema pgsql).
>
> 	shp2pgsql --cheat-on-schema-name
>
> Comments welcome on the back-compatibility issue.

Personally I prefer working from a clean distribution, so I'll use the
old loader on the old (0.8.0) installation, and copy all imported tables
from public to the schemas. When I have time, I'll upgrade everything.
I'm not sure if the mixed-installation hacks are worth the effort; if I
understand you correctly the problem only arises with a new loader on an
older PostGIS installation. Perhaps just documenting the problem would
be sufficient.

BTW: Is it possible to upgrade PostGIS in an existing PostgreSQL
implementation?

Jan