[postgis-users] PostGIS, Mapserver and itemquery question from a newbie

coldwell at csptexas.com coldwell at csptexas.com
Mon Mar 29 06:54:21 PST 2004

Good Morning,

I have a Mapserver application I'd like to move to PostGIS from shapefiles. Most of it works fine, indeed, better than with shapefiles. But in a couple of places, it is necessary to launch the Mapserver with an itemqery via a URL like this:

or, an itemNquery like this:

These examples work fine with a shape file, but crash with PostGIS.

By examining the error message, it appears that the qstring parameter should be a SQL where clause.

If I change the first example to look like this:

it has worked, but very, very slowly. The PostgreSQL table has not only a spatial index, but prop_id and oid as well.

I've read a thread in the archives some time ago that seems related, but I seem to be missing some context. I don't understand what I'm reading.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,