[postgis-users] Migration: From Oracle to PostgreSQL

Zamil Murji Zamil.Murji at divestco.com
Thu May 13 09:48:39 PDT 2004

Hello Alex,

We have been using an open source utility called Ora2Pg. It is very well written and easy to use. I could not find a way to migrate the spatial column from Oracle to Postgres directly. For our company this was not a problem, since we stored the lat and long in seperate columns anyways. I pulled everything once, and then ran an update script to create my geometry column and populate it. We had to slightly modify the Ora2Pg code so that a user without sys privileges could export from the Oracle table, but that was the only change we made to the core package.

I hope this helps,
Zamil