[postgis-users] simplify() on lat/lon data

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu May 20 12:14:58 PDT 2004

If you have lat/lon data, the unit of interest is the "degree", so 0.01
is still a *huge* distance. You really are best off only using
simplify() in planar projections. Using lat/lon as a planar projection
gets bad because the "distance" of X units horizontally is not the same
as the "distance" of X units vertically.

--
       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey