[postgis-users] psql crashes if bbox is too big

Sunny Leung sunny.leung at gnsstoday.com
Sat May 22 10:40:22 PDT 2004

Dear all,

I have converted a couple of shapefiles to postgis. Currently, I am
using geoserver WMS to draw the map from the postgis datastore. I
observed, if my bbox is larger than the mapping data itself, the psql
server crashes.

I observed the following error messages:
"psql: could not send startup packet: Broken pipe"

In order to recover the problem, I have to restart the postgres server
but the problem reappear if I use a bbox larger than the map data itself.

Would someone give me some directions as to what causes this problem and
how this can be resolved. Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Sunny Leung