[postgis-users] Patch for PostgreSQL 7.5 including GiST fixes

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Thu May 27 00:36:54 PDT 2004

Hi folks,

I've managed to discover why building a GiST index fails on PostgreSQL
7.5. A recent commit to fix alignment issues on 64-bit architectures
meant that one of the GiST data structures changed which was causing the
crash.

Please find attached a "super patch" which applies against current CVS
that allows PostGIS to compile under PostgreSQL 7.5. This includes my
GiST indexing fix and Romi's Win32 patches, minus the changes for
shp2pgsql/pgsql2shp in the Makefile (I'm perhaps thinking there may be a
better way of doing this, perhaps having different Makefiles for each
version of PostgreSQL). As a reference, I've also attached Romi's patch
against PostgreSQL 7.5 which is required to allow the symbol
"default_statistics_target" to be visible to PostGIS.

I've tested this patch by dropping and recreating a GiST index several
times on a table of 50,000 points under Win32 and everything seems to
work as expected, compared to crashing as before. Comments welcome as
always.

Cheers,

Mark.

---

Mark Cave-Ayland
Webbased Ltd.
Tamar Science Park
Derriford
Plymouth
PL6 8BX
England

Tel: +44 (0)1752 764445
Fax: +44 (0)1752 764446

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute
its contents to any other person.