[postgis-users] general postgreSQL

Eric.Hillmuth at anr.state.vt.us Eric.Hillmuth at anr.state.vt.us
Thu May 27 11:10:56 PDT 2004

Its more related to PostgreSQL than PostGIS but I haven't gotten there yet... Has
anyone run into an error like this from the postmaster on startup:

LOG: could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
HINT: is another postmaster already running on port 5432. If not, wait a few seconds
and retry.

I can confirm that port 5432 is opened by the postmaster at startup and closed at
shutdown with netstat etc. but I don't know why it prints this error. I'm running
PostgreSQL 7.4 on SUSE 8.4.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

--
Eric Hillmuth