[postgis-users] Desperately seeking simple solution

Robert W. Burgholzer rburgholzer at maptech-inc.com
Sun May 30 16:31:12 PDT 2004

Gerry,
I guess it would be helpful to know what exactly you want to do with the
resulting data. Are you simply taking it from one form, like a dbf file or
a flat text file (such as NCDC or NOAA data), and then copying it into
postgis, or are you looking for some other type of implementation?

I have done a bit of what I describe above, i.e., creating a point theme
with weather station data from NCDC, and importing text based data with the
actual readings into a separate table. This has gone fairly smoothly with
simple queries and so forth. The resulting tables are then quite
conveniently accessed for a variety of applications once inside
postgresql/postgis.

Feel free to email me on or off list if you would like to discuss further,
or perhaps see some of the scripts I have written to accomplish these tasks.

r.b.