[postgis-users] error initdb when getting Postgres from source

Januar V. Simarmata januar at web4yours.com
Mon Sep 27 23:09:33 PDT 2004

Hi,
I always got this error each time getting Postgres from source.
I've tried several version: 7.4.1, 7.4.2, 7.4.5, 8.00beta8, but always got
the same result.

Procedure I used to compile is very usual:
./configure
make
make install

I am building on Cygwin on XP.
Using GCC 3.3.3, and the latest related programs/library for Cygwin.

************************
$ initdb -D /pgdata
The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /pgdata ... ok
creating directory /pgdata/global ... ok
creating directory /pgdata/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory /pgdata/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory /pgdata/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory /pgdata/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory /pgdata/base ... ok
creating directory /pgdata/base/1 ... ok
creating directory /pgdata/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /pgdata/base/1 ... FATAL:  semctl(125, 16,
SETVAL
, 536) failed: Invalid argument
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/pgdata"
$