[postgis-users] upgrade benefits re. high load

Purvis, Charlton cpurvis at asg.sc.edu
Thu Sep 30 07:19:32 PDT 2004

Hi, folks:

I was just daydreaming about what life might be like if I were to upgrade
from 0.8.1 to 0.9.0.  I looked at your news page and also at the CHANGES w/i
each release (0.8.2 and 0.9.0), and the blurb that piqued my interest was on
this page, http://postgis.refractions.net/news/index.php?file=20040527.data,
which says, 'The release also includes numerous small bug fixes, for
different platforms and high load use cases.'

I didn't see anything in the CHANGES w/ the words 'high load'.  Is that
where LWGEOM comes in?  I'm afraid I know zilch about LWGEOM, so I don't
know if that involves a changeover or if it's even appropriate for the kind
of stuff I do.  Or if it magically speeds everything up in the background.

Anyway, if one of you czars out there wouldn't mind letting me know what was
meant by high load improvement, I'd be thankful.  I'm woefully afraid of
having to drop the db's to upgrade, so it would have to be a bright light at
the end of that tunnel to push me in that direction.

But then again, maybe I'm not supposed to go toward the light yet?

Thanks,

Charlton

Charlton Purvis
(803) 777-8858 : voice