[postgis-users] [OT] Allowing network client connections

Robert Aldridge bamarob55 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 07:43:28 PDT 2005

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I'm really hoping
someone here can help.  I've done Google searches and
read the PostgreSQL docs, but the more I read, the
more confused I get!

I'm starting my PostgreSQL/PostGIS database with:

'/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &'

This starts the postmaster and I can connect to it
from localhost.  What do I need to add to pg_hba.conf
to allow any clients on my LAN (addresses 192.168.1.*)
to connect?

I've tried adding different combinations of the
following without success (BTW, I am adding these
*before* the last line which rejects all other
connections:

host all 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 trust
host mydatabase 192.168.1.0/24
host all 192.168.1.0/24 trust

Of course, with each change in pg_hba.conf, I restart
the postmaster.

Once again, I apologize for the [OT] post, but I just
can't seem to get this one figured out.

Thanks,

Robert