[postgis-users] RC6 + ArcObjects

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Thu Apr 14 09:42:00 PDT 2005

Hi, Abe,

Abe Gillespie schrieb:
> The SQL query always succeeds.  It's when the WKB data is converted to
> an ArcObject via geoEnv.CreateGeometryFromWkbVariant(bin, out geo, out
> byteCnt) do I encounter intermittent problems.  I realize this could
> be a problem with the CreateGeometryFromWkbVariant call, but could it
> be data from PostGIS causing the problem?  I'm not sure how to verify
> this.

There are two possibilities. The better one is to look at the OpenGIS
Consortium Simple Features for SQL Spec which describes the WKB format,
and compare it with the data that PostGIS and ArcObject produce and accept.

The second one is to use a bunch of WKB implementations, and make
interoperability tests. If most of them work together, and only a single
one or a few fail to work together, then it is likely that those few are
on error.

Btw, the PostGIS package contains two independently developed WKB codes,
the one from PostGIS itsself and the java one from the jdbc2 package,
which interoperate fine.

Markus