[postgis-users] PostGIS table structure

Eli Dylan Lorimer e.d.lorimer at sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri Apr 15 10:41:03 PDT 2005

Hi,
I'm going to be tracking myself with a gps for the next few months and
will be storing the collection of waypoints in a PostgreSQL/PostGIS db
for subsequent visualization. I'm just now trying to figure out the
best table structure to use. Although I'm pretty unfamiliar with
spatial databases in general, I believe I'll want to store the lat/lon
as point objects, correct? As the primary purpose of storing all this
info is so that I may examine spatio-temporal patterns in it, the time
stamp for each waypoint is very important too. Can anyone recommend a
general way to go about storing this data? I'm just looking for a few
general ideas and/or pitfalls to avoid so as not to screw myself in the
end. Much thanks.