[postgis-users] Distance of point on a line

Derek C. Figg derek at cxtsoftware.com
Tue Apr 19 09:40:07 PDT 2005

Hello all,

I sent out a fairly dumb question about a week ago and received many
helpful responses, and wanted to thank everyone for that.  Now I have
another fairly simple (I hope) question that I cannot find an answer to
in the documentation.

If I have a non-linear linestring, with many points, I know I can find
the total distance of the line with "length(geom)".  If I specify a
point that lies somewhere directly on the linestring, is there a
function that will determine the length from the beginning point of the
line to the specified point somewhere on that line?  Thanks for the
help.

Derek Figg
CXT Software,
a Connection Technology Company