[postgis-users] Distance of point on a line

Martin Davis mbdavis at VividSolutions.com
Tue Apr 19 12:08:05 PDT 2005

JTS 1.7 will contain code to do just this, in a new Linear Referencing
API.  Hopefully it will show up in PostGIS at some point.

No ETA for the release yet - probably in a month or two.

Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
Vivid Solutions Inc.      www.vividsolutions.com
Suite #1A-2328 Government Street Victoria, B.C. V8T 5G5
Phone: (250) 385 6040 - Local 308 Fax: (250) 385 6046

	-----Original Message-----
	From: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
Derek C. Figg
	Sent: April 19, 2005 9:40 AM
	To: postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
	Subject: [postgis-users] Distance of point on a line

	Hello all,

	I sent out a fairly dumb question about a week ago and received
many helpful responses, and wanted to thank everyone for that.  Now I
have another fairly simple (I hope) question that I cannot find an
answer to in the documentation.

	If I have a non-linear linestring, with many points, I know I
can find the total distance of the line with "length(geom)".  If I
specify a point that lies somewhere directly on the linestring, is there
a function that will determine the length from the beginning point of
the line to the specified point somewhere on that line?  Thanks for the
help.

	Derek Figg
	CXT Software,
	a Connection Technology Company