[postgis-users] 2d VS 3d Point

Eli Dylan Lorimer e.d.lorimer at sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 21 08:32:09 PDT 2005

Hola,
I'm creating a table to store waypoints from a GPS. Ultimately, I'll be
creating a 3d visualization system based off of Hagerstrands space-time
cube - so time will be the 3rd dimension. My question is, in your
(anybody's) expert opinion, should I use a 2d point object to store the
lat/lon location and then keep time as a separate attribute
(aggregating them when needed) or store lat/lon/time as a 3d point
object which I can then map to a java class? Any thoughts?
Cheers,
./dylan