[postgis-users] GTK/Gnome GIS Client

Scott Ellington scottellington at comcast.net
Mon Aug 8 18:47:50 PDT 2005

Well, I can think of a few reasons:

-A unified look and feel across the desktop.

-Utilize Gnome features:  This could include features like drag and
drop, where a shapefile could be dragged off a folder and onto the map
like ArcMap.

-Integration with other applications.  Including (perhaps) reusable
components/objects.

-Development in the native toolkit/window manager could give performance
improvements.

-I like Gnome :)

In terms of it being wasteful, redundancy is a part of open source
software development.  It seems to me that competition helps all
projects in that groups learn from each other.

Also, IF this we were written in .NET than the base libraries could be
used acrossed platforms, toolkits, and operating systems as well.

Scott

Scott Ellington <scottellington at comcast.net>