[postgis-users] Re: [geos-devel] GEOS 2.2 (CORRECTION)

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Fri Dec 2 00:19:40 PST 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:58:47PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I believe 2.2 includes a change in the binary interface, which means
> you will have to recompile PostGIS and other dependent client
> programs, but not in the source interface, so the old programs should
> still compile sucessfully against it.  Strk can correct me if I am
> wrong.

CORRECTION:

There is no change in the binary interface between 2.1.x and 2.2.0.
Binary interface changes are scheduled for 3.0 (or 2.2, I'd like
to hear from you for versioning scheme).

The 2.2.0 release *adds* the C-API wrapper to let users hook on
it before the ABI-breaking release. This means that if you link
against the C-API wrapper now you won't have to rebuild your
client when upgrading to next major release. Applications already
linked to the C++ library shouldn't need a rebuild.

None of the official postgis releases have C-API support for GEOS
yet. This is scheduled for Postgis-1.1.0. So don't bother rebuilding
postgis now, unless you detect an involunteer ABI breakage (aka bug).

--strk;