[postgis-users] Re: UDig and PostGIS

Johan Wehtje genwolf at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 01:08:35 PST 2005

I have copied this message back to the groups where some might be keen to
follow the resolution.

Following your suggestion I created a new Database called Maps, created a
User / Login Role called Maps, and loaded some Spatial Geomtry into the
public schema without any other schemas.
 And wonder of wonders !!! it works , the map renders.

I then remembered that I had earlier swapped my JDBC drivers, so I tried it
again swaping the JDBC driver back to one that shipped with UDig - this does
not work, and produces the same error message as before and the null pointer
exception in the UDig log. However if I use the JDBC driver that shipped
with my installtion of Postgres and rename it to reflect the name in the
manifest.mf file it all seems to work smoothly.

I still have to try this with a seperate schema mapped to a username, and
will let you know, but it should be emphasised that many people are using
schemas to logically seperate data rather than to create user spaces. In my
case I have an environmental Database and have schemas for spatial datasets,
sensor station log data sets, externally contributed data sets and etc.

The workaround works and it might be an idea to have either the readme, help
or FAQ updated to point out the implications of using schemas, and the
recommeded way to ensure schemas work with UDig.

Thanks all who helped resolve this.

Cheers

Johan Wehtje