[postgis-users] Function dos not exist

Alex Mayrhofer axelm-postgis at nona.net
Sun Dec 4 03:25:38 PST 2005

Kris Nackaerts wrote:
> Forgot to tell I use PostGreSQL 8.1.0, pgAdmin 1.4.0.
>
> I'f I'm correct, PostGis is implemented into this version of postgres so no
> extra installations are needed?

No, unfortunately that is not true. What you need to do is install PostGIS
in addition to PostgreSQL (see installation instructions on
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch02.html).

When you're done with the installation, you need to "spatially enable" the
database you're using (see the installation notes above) by loading the
function definitions.

Then you need to add the geometry columns to your table, see
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html#id2510852 - in your case that
would probably be

AddGeometryColumn('dtm_point', 'mypoint', <SRID>, 'POINT', 2);

(you need to replace <SRID> with the spatial reference system id).

After doing that, you should be able to execute the query you mentioned.

hope that helps.

alex