[postgis-users] inserting records via web-client

Nicolas Ribot nicky666 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 00:29:59 PST 2005

> Hi
>
> I am currently trying to assess how difficult it would be to insert a
> user-drawn shapes+attributes into a PostGIS back-end. Using perhaps
> SVG or javascript enable web-client. Does anyone know if this has been
> achieved?

Hello,
We have developed, some years ago, a Java applet acting as a MapServer
frontend (basic navigation tools, info, distance/surface measurement,
layer control, etc.)
These last months, we re-wrote the geometries edition support to plug
it with geotools, in order to support several datasources.
The name of this projet is Kaboum (kaboum.sourceforge.net).

The digitalization part focuses on geometries (attribute edition have
to be developped in the html page), with the following features:
Creation of points, linestrings, polygons, multipolygons (with or
without holes).
Several spatial analysis tools allowing to intersect, union,
difference, clip, cut complete polygons).
The applet is plugged on a servlet which uses geotools to access
datasources and JTS to perform spatial analysis.
An basic API allows developers to implement their of GeometryAccess
class to plug to their datasource if it is not supported by geotools.

This applet is currently used in a project and our next task is to put
this latest version on sourceforge with some documentation.

Let me know if you're interested in this project. I could send you
source and/or binaries.
(I will put some screenshots on sourceforge before releasing this new version).

Nicolas