[postgis-users] inserting records via web-client

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Tue Dec 6 07:11:03 PST 2005

Hi,

	Using Geoserver to decouple your client from the PostGIS makes sense
especially if you are planning to open the database to a larger public, but
if this is your first trial of this type of thing it would probably be
better to use your own server side app to connect to PostGIS. Performance
will be better, especially with an SVG interface, and development time will
be about the same either way. Although Geoserver may have an SVG interface
to WFS-T in the future, for now you have the additional SVG <=> GML to deal
with.

	We have had good success using SVG on the client uploading to Java
servlets. I've used both custom servlets and OWS aggregator servlets. The
aggregator has the advantage of access to lots of nice WMS as background
data (WFS is still sparse). SVG with javascript is great for lots of
sophisticated drawing client side. If you want to update attribution it is
easier to use html forms since svg text input is somewhat difficult.
Combining the two is easy enough by drawing in svg and connecting the
vectors to attribution with onclick events that open normal html forms.

	WFS-T is an exciting advancement to the OWS model. It will allow
community database maintenance which has a lot of potential application in
the enterprise. uDig is the best approach currently for accessing the power
of WFS-T which is still in the early stages of availability. I believe
Geoserver is the only tool to provide WFS-T at this time.

Have fun

Randy