[postgis-users] installing postgis in Ubuntu 5.10(Breezy)

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Dec 13 08:54:19 PST 2005

Eduard Witteveen wrote:
> Blair Zajac wrote:
>> /etc/apt/sources.list:
>>
>> deb http://www.orcaware.com/packages/ubuntu/ breezy/
>> deb-src http://www.orcaware.com/packages/ubuntu/ breezy/
> This didnt work on my Ubuntu (amd64), is there a way how i can install
> postgis with apt?
>
> If needed i am prepared to build the packages, but then i need some
> pointers on how i should do this (and to the repository we could add the
> amd64 packages)

Yes, I think you'll need to recompile most of the packages.

The two packages you won't have to recompile are postgresql-common and
libpg-java, as these are architecture independent.

The order that you'll want to build the binary packages is

proj
geos
postgresql-8.1
postgis1

For these, the basic pattern is:

$ apt-get source PACKAGE_NAME
$ cd PACKAGE_NAME-VERSION
$ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot 2>&1 | tee ../log-PACKAGE_NAME
$ cd ..

At this point, you'll have several *deb in that directory which you can install
with 'dpkg -i'.

You don't need to set up a repository, but you can if you want.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.