[postgis-users] Initial SRS and geometry columms table creation

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Dec 13 21:03:25 PST 2005

On Dec 13, 2005, at 8:16 PM, Ivan Kautter wrote:

> Lastly, I have a spatial reference system that is not defined in
> EPSG.  It is a system for the entire state of California in NAD83
> defined thusly:
>
> <snip>

> How should I go about specifying the SRID, AUTH_NAME, AUTH_SRID for
> this custom SRS?

SRID cannot collide with others AUTH_NAME and AUTH_SRID can be
anything you like.

> Is there a standard domain for these fields that people utilize in
> PostGIS or are the values in these fields largely arbitrary?

Well, our spatial_ref_sys table can confuse people, because our SRIDs
match our AUTH_SRIDs, but not that the AUTH_NAME is "EPSG".  So the
SRID could be anything, but the AUTH_NAME, AUTH_SRID fields would
match the EPSG definitions for the definitions we ship.  Clear as
mud?  In theory, you could have multiple authorities, with colliding
AUTH_SRIDs but distince SRIDs (since SRID is a purely database-
internal number)

> Thanks for your time and attention.  All assistance greatly
> appreciated.

Enjoy!