[PERFORM] [postgis-users] Is my query planner failing me, or vice versa?

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Thu Dec 15 04:03:16 PST 2005

Well, what does the random_page_cost do internally ?

I don't think I'd expect postgres to be able to *do* anything in particular, any more than I would expect it to "do" something about slow disk I/O or having limited cache. But it might be useful to the EXPLAIN ANALYZE in estimating costs of retrieving such data.

Admittedly, this is not as clear as wanting a sequential scan in preference to indexed reads when there are either very few rows or a huge number, but it strikes me as useful to me the DBA to have this factoid thrust in front of me when considering why a given query is slower than I might like. Perhaps an added time based on this factor and the random_page_cost value, since lots of TOAST data and a high access time would indicate to my (ignorant!) mind that retrieval would be slower, especially over large data sets.

Forgive my ignorance ... obviously I am but a humble user. grin.