[postgis-users] pgsql2shp, simplify and shape

Tore Halset halset at pvv.ntnu.no
Tue Dec 20 03:31:05 PST 2005

Hello.

I have imported inwatera from vmap0 into postgis. Looks ok. Export
using pgsql2shp and visualizing in OpenMap works also.

I want to create a simplifyed shape-file as well. Tried with this:

pgsql2shp -f inwatera-thin vmap0-convert "select simplify(the_geom,
0.1) from inwatera where area(the_geom) > 0.1"

OpenMap does not like the produced shape file and are reporting:

java.io.IOException: Invalid polygon record. Expected shape type 5 or
type 3, but found 1073741824
	at com.bbn.openmap.layer.shape.ESRIPolygonRecord.<init>
(ESRIPolygonRecord.java:77)
	at com.bbn.openmap.layer.shape.SpatialIndex.makeESRIRecord
(SpatialIndex.java:234)
	at com.bbn.openmap.layer.shape.SpatialIndex.locateRecords
(SpatialIndex.java:359)
	at com.bbn.openmap.layer.shape.ShapeLayer.prepare(ShapeLayer.java:433)
	at com.bbn.openmap.layer.policy.StandardRenderPolicy.prepare
(StandardRenderPolicy.java:67)

Is this a OpenMap error or am I creating the shape-file incorrect? I
guess the later as OpenMap are able to display the exported shape-
file if I do not use simplify().

I am using PostgreSQL 8.1.1 with PostGIS 1.0.6 on a amd64 FreeBSD box:
POSTGIS="1.0.6" GEOS="2.2.1" PROJ="Rel. 4.4.9, 29 Oct 2004" USE_STATS
DBPROC="0.3.0" RELPROC="0.3.0"

Regards,
  - Tore.